GREENLAND — The State Amateur became the Wet Amateur on Thursday afternoon, as rains pelted Portsmouth Country Club and delayed Round of 16 play for more than two hours.

But for the guys like Eric Evans, Nick Kalil and Jamie Ferullo who persevered, the end result felt like sunshine.

The stellar weather that had backdropped the first three days of the New Hampshire Amateur golf championship disappeared completely on Thursday, with fog delaying morning play for an hour and rain halting the Round of 16 with all the golfers still on the course.

The final stoppage stretched to 2 hours and 16 minutes, and the rain that greeted golfers when play resumed after dinner was as steady as anything during the delay.

“I went through four gloves and about six towels in three holes,” said Kalil.

“I actually didn’t think we were going to go back out,” said Ferullo. “I was just sitting there, hanging out. As soon as we went back out it started to pick up more. I just had this attitude that everyone’s going to get wet.”

Evans (Portsmouth CC), Kalil (Portsmouth CC) and Ferullo (Rochester CC) are on to the quarterfinals of the 116th New Hampshire Amateur after winning two matches apiece Thursday. It’s the fourth trip to this round in five years for Ferullo, while the other two local guys have pushed into Friday for the first time.

The matchups, starting at 7:30 a.m., are Evans vs. Mathew Gover of Atkinson Resort, Andrew Purse of Bald Peak Colony vs. John DeVito of Passaconaway, Kalil vs. Jake Hollander of The Shattuck, and Ferullo vs. Sam Barton of Kingswood CC, who was last year’s State Junior champion.

“I’m just kind of taking it all in as a great opportunity,” said Evans, who is coming off an All-Conference season at the University of Hartford. “I couldn’t be more grateful to be here, playing at my home course and playing this well.”

The Dover resident and home-course member had built a 5-up lead on two-time champ Mike Flynn of Cochecho CC when play was suspended at 3:24 p.m. Evans, mulling a two-foot birdie putt for two hours during the delay, needed another half-hour to secure his place in the quarterfinals for the first time ever with a 6-and-5 win.

“Eric played great,” said Flynn. “Anytime you’re in the top 32, top 16, you’re going to play great players. It was his home course and he knows it well. I knew it was going to be tough.”

Evans had been no lock for the Round of 16, needing a 7-foot par-saver on the 18th hole to send his morning match against Tillman Evers of Green Meadow to extra holes. He won the second playoff hole with a par.

Kalil won both his matches by 3-and-2 scores, including a morning clash with fellow member and two-time champion Craig Steckowych.

“It’s funny,” said Kalil. “I went into that match knowing it’s a familiar opponent and I’m going to have to play very well to beat him. But it was still a comfortable pairing. I hit good shots and things just went well for me.”

Against Brian Nowak of Amherst CC in the afternoon, he birdied No. 2 and No. 4 to go 2-up, but had to win three holes on the back nine after play resumed in the rain.

“Today was a grind,” said Kalil, “but it does me a lot to be playing Friday. I’ve never made it to the quarters in this. Playing this for the first time in six years and playing it here, it’s definitely gratifying.”

Ferullo came into the rain delay down a hole to Jake Nutter of Intervale CC after five. But he took control of his match when the players returned to the course, making a 15-foot birdie to win No. 6, chipping in for birdie to win No. 7, winning No. 8 with a bogey and chipping in again at the 10th to go 3-up.

“It’s not fun to play in the rain,” he said. “I just accepted it. I came in the right way.”

He made putts down the stretch to close out the match.

Weather permitting, the quarterfinals and semifinals will be played Friday, with the 36-hole championship on Saturday.