DURHAM — Two years ago Albany spoiled Senior Day for the University of New Hampshire football team with a come-from-behind win at Wildcat Stadium. The Wildcats didn’t let it happen again.

On a blustery autumn afternoon when strong winds wreaked havoc with the passing and kicking games, and dictated much of the offensive strategy, UNH defeated Albany 24-10 for its third straight win.

The Wildcats improved to 4-6 overall Saturday and 3-4 in the Colonial Athletic Association with one game left next week at Rhode Island. One big play on offense and one on defense in the second half enabled UNH to hold off the Great Danes (2-8, 0-7 CAA), who dropped their sixth straight game.

Albany won the previous two meetings in the series.

“My biggest thing coming into this year was not letting them spoil (Senior Day) this year,” said redshirt freshman Carlos Washington Jr. “Obviously we can’t make the playoffs but we’ve still got to finish strong.”

The Wildcats led 7-3 after the first quarter, 10-3 at halftime and 17-3 at the end of three. Washington’s 93-yard touchdown run in the third quarter gave UNH some separation and an interception in the Great Danes’ end zone by Evan Horn in the fourth clinched it.

“I hit the hole, froze 23 (safety Josh Wynn) and I just tried to give it my all to get in the end zone,” Washington said. “My guys did a great job blocking downfield and that just opened it up even more for me.”

Washington finished with 142 yards on 11 carries and two-time senior captain Trevon Bryant gained 57 yards on 12 attempts in his final home game. Overall, the Wildcats out-gained the Great Danes on the ground, 223-13.

Defensively, the Wildcats had seven sacks, including three by linebacker Quinlen Dean.

Washington’s meandering run to paydirt came with 3:11 left in the third to make it 17-3, and Horn’s pick-six came midway through the fourth to complete the scoring. It was the Wildcats’ fifth defensive touchdown of the season and third in the last two weeks.

“(Horn’s) got a nose for the football,” said coach Sean McDonnell. “He’s a talented kid. He sees things developing. He’s got great athletic ability and made a great catch.”

It was Horn’s team-leading fourth interception and second touchdown.

“Actually we were running a blitz and I noticed the back was wide,” Horn said. “There was no reason for me to go to the quarterback so I just jumped it and the ball was right there. I didn’t have to worry about getting caught this time.”

The Great Danes had cut the margin to 17-10 on a 28-yard TD pass from Jeff Undercuffler to Karl Mofor on the first play of the fourth quarter.

Albany’s Ethan Stark opened the scoring with a 49-yard field goal with the wind to give the Great Danes a 3-0 lead with 9:39 left in the first quarter.

UNH scored the go-ahead touchdown late in the first quarter on a 1-yard keeper by quarterback Trevor Knight, who re-injured his right shoulder in the second quarter and left the game only to return in the second half.

The Wildcats added to their lead on a 27-yard field goal by Jason Hughes that made it 10-3 with 16 seconds left in the first half. It was a disappointing result considering UNH had a first-and-goal from the 3 following a 13-yard run by Bryant.

“It was tough,” McDonnell said of the elements. “Our game plan was to try and throw the ball short distances into the wind and, more importantly, run the football into the wind and make some hay out of it.”

Redshirt freshman QB Tommy Herion engineered the scoring drive that put the Wildcats up 10-3 at the break.

The three quarterbacks who played in the first half were a combined 5 of 19 for 40 yards and were sacked five times. UNH held the Great Danes to 37 total yards in the first half.

The Wildcats ran for 153 yards in the second half.

“We needed to run the football today and we ran it pretty well,” McDonnell said. “I thought all our (backs) saw the holes, listened to the cuts and made some people miss. More importantly they broke some tackles at the second level and good things happen when you do that.”



Albany 3 0 0 7—10

New Hampshire 7 3 7 7—24

First Quarter

Alb—FG Stark 49, 9:39.

UNH—Knight 1 run (Hughes kick), 3:12.

Second Quarter

UNH—FG Hughes 27, :16.

Third Quarter

UNH—Washington 93 run (Hughes kick), 3:11.

Fourth Quarter

UNH—Horn 0 interception return (Hughes kick), 7:31.


RUSHING—Albany, Mofor 10-52, Ibitokun-Hanks 9-24, Undercuffler 8-(minus 63). New Hampshire, Washington 11-142, Bryant 12-57, Gray 6-14, Knight 8-7, Coyne 3-3.

PASSING—Albany, Undercuffler 15-34—167 (TD, INT). New Hampshire, Knight 8-18—70, Tommy Herion 0-3—0.

RECEIVING—McDonald 5-60, Mofor 3-41, Green 2-38, Homens 4-22, Ibitokun-Hanks 1-6. New Hampshire, O’Connor 6-49, Gray 1-11, Washington 1-10.