WELLS – History Walk & Talk is back in July in the most historic 17th century neighborhood in Wells. On Saturday, July 13, the program start 10 a.m. at the Historical Society of Wells and Ogunquit on 938 Post Road (Route One) in Wells, Maine. From there, participants will be guided to carpool to the falls at the Webhannet River, the site of the first mill, the site of Edmund Littlefield’s homestead, and the old burial ground. Administrator Julia Einstein describes the program as “a new and interactive way of presenting a history lecture by bringing history outside.” Participants are asked to reserve a spot with an email to email@example.com or by calling (207) 646-4775.
Local historian and author Joe Hardy, will lead the tour of the historic neighborhood, near the Webhannet River, named by Abenaki people over a thousand years ago. Close by is the location of the homestead of Edmund and Annis Littlefield, owners of the first mill, as well as the location of the first Meetinghouse in Wells in the 1640s. The Historical Society’s 1862 Meetinghouse sits on the ground of the original, as well as the c. 1730 building where the John Adams came to visit on his rounds as a probate circuit judge. At the burial ground, participants will see gravestones marking the first English settlers. Not seen are the field stones, circa 1650s, that have not survived, and early 19th century graves that were moved to what was then the new town cemetery, Ocean View, in the early 1900s.