The First Congregational Church of Kennebunkport is pleased to host “Her Heart Can See – The Fanny Crosby Story,” presented by the Rev. Ann Partner Nelson who will depict Fanny Crosby, the blind author of over 8,000 hymns (more than anyone in history). Rev. Nelson’s husband, John I. Nelson, will narrate. This event of historical interpretation by Rev. Nelson and Mr. Nelson with acting, conversation and music, all in an order of service, will be held at 4 p.m. Sunday, March 24, (snow date 4 p.m. Sunday, March 31), at First Congregational Church, 141 North St., Kennebunkport. A reception will follow. The March 24th date is important as it will be the 199th birthday of Fanny Crosby (1820-1915). All are welcome to attend.

“Her Heart Can See” is an interdenominational program presenting the life and hymns of Fanny Crosby, a well-known and beloved 19th century American poet, hymn writer, musician, evangelist, and humanitarian, who was blind from infancy. She was a pioneer in promoting public education for the blind and was a teacher of blind children for many years. In the program the public will step into the past, meet Miss Fanny, and sing her hymns. The name of the program, “Her Heart Can See”, is from a poem written for Miss Crosby and a biography by Edith L. Blumhofer.

Many of Fanny Crosby’s 8,000 plus hymns are among favorites still sung in many churches. They include, “Blessed Assurance,” “To God be the Glory,” “Rescue the Perishing,” and “Near the Cross.” For many years Miss Crosby lived in a tenement near a New York City mission and many of her lyrics are a result of her visits there.

During this special event there will be an offering taken that will go to the Kittery Lions Club. Finding joy in service, the Kittery Lions Club, as do all Lions Clubs, gives eyeglass assistance to York County people in need of glasses and vision screenings. Improving sight is one of the Lions Club’s most defining causes which dates back to Helen Keller in 1925. The Kittery Lions Club also collects medical equipment for York County residents in need. In addition to the offering that will be taken, eyeglasses and medical equipment may be brought to the church at the time of the program for donation to the club.

First Congregational Church is located 1.5 miles south of the Seacoast Trolley Museum where Log Cabin Road becomes North Street, next to Arundel Cemetery, and near the Kennebunkport Historical Society. From Kennebunkport’s Dock Square area take Spring Street to a left on Maine Street to North Street and follow North Street to First Congregational Church on the right. For directions or more information, you may call the church office on Tuesdays at (207) 967-3897. Visit